Friday, September 23, 2011

Labor time guide to change a starter on a 1992 explorer 2wd?

I need to know the if a shop is wanting to charge to much to change my starter. They say the labor book calls for 2.4 hours. The Explorer is a 4.0 liter, 2 wheel drive.
Labor time guide to change a starter on a 1992 explorer 2wd?
my book shows 1 hour ...i think your getting riped....ive done lots of them in less time........the books try to include jackup time etc but an extra 1.5 houres??? are they lifting it by hand ??....try nameing the bad shops so no one else will get riped ,,,,but thain maby youl get your question booted
Labor time guide to change a starter on a 1992 explorer 2wd?
thats a little long for 2 bolts and a wire. i could have the starter off in 10 min drive my other truck to get a new one and be back in less than a hour and have the new one on. i have a 99 explorer and a mercury moutaineer witch is the same thing. they are ripping you off on the man hours
seems reasonable. the labour book said it was 3 hours for the starter on my sonoma. the mechanic didn't believe me said it was a 1.5 hour job so he made me a quote. came back 20 minutes later to tell me it was gonna take 3 hours cuz he had to drop the exhaust to get to the starter.



1.5 hours is normal for a starter that's not too hard to get to.



2.4 hours for an explorer seems reasonable. i had one with a 4.0litre there's not a lot of room for anything under that engine.
That sounds about right. I've done the job myself in a matter of 45 minutes, however, that was because the bolts came out easily and I didn't put everything back in place the same way is if it was from the factory. Most shops have a 2-hour minimum. They also have to allow for any complications that come up as a result of working on the car such as a different type of electrical connection and then they have to test the solenoid and the connection that comes from the ignition switch to make sure that these items are not bad also.
Did the book tell you that is 2.4 hrs for a person with two left hands?
  • parent conference night
  • long hair styles
  •