Friday, September 23, 2011

I've a 75 Chevy Camaro. When I turn the key, the starter doesn't run, but makes a ticking noice. What's wrong?

I've checked the battery, which is fine. Do I need to change the starter, or can it be something else? I first though that the starter didn't get eough power, but now I'm not sure.
I've a 75 Chevy Camaro. When I turn the key, the starter doesn't run, but makes a ticking noice. What's wrong?
You either have bad connections at the battery or the starter, battery is weak, cables corroded inside increasing amperage needed to turn starter over, the ticking sound is the bendix trying to engage the starter but not enough power to it.
I've a 75 Chevy Camaro. When I turn the key, the starter doesn't run, but makes a ticking noice. What's wrong?
How did you check the battery? Just because it shows 12 volts doesn't mean that it has the amps to turn it. Try jumping it, with another vehicle. It could be the starter, It could be stuck or frozen, very popular in chevrolet starters in the 70's and 80's. If you can tap on it with a hammer , while someone tries to turn the key, it will usually start %26quot;if the starter is stuck%26quot;. But if its fried, you just need a new starter, I'm guessing battery still though.
A ticking starter usually indicates a discharged battery or possibly a bad starter. How did you test the battery? Did you try jump starting the car? Take the battery to your local automotive store and have them test it for you. They can even charge it overnight for free. After you've eliminated the battery as the culprit, I'd look at the starter next. Happy starting!
try to jump start it.if it still clicks its the starter solenoid.replace the starter.
it sounds like a bad solenoid to me you can try tapping on it while someone try's to crank it....or try to stick a screwdriver between the posts on the solenoid to jump from 1 post to the other and if she cranks then you know you got a bad 1 ......if it dont crank then you got another problem or your starter is froze .you can have it checked if you take the starter off the car and take it to any autoparts store and they can check it to see if its any good