Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Why is my new starter going out?

Changed starter on truck about a month ago. Last two days it just clicks when I turn key. Takes about 3-4 times before it will turn over. Truck is '73 Chevy 1/2 ton. Bought rebuilt lifetime warrantied starter because old one was heating up and wouldn't start without jump once it had been driven. I replaced myself, was too simple to screw up...or so I thought.
Why is my new starter going out?
Check the wiring is CLEAN and tight on starter AND battery.

Check the flywheel ring gear.

If all ok,probably a faulty starter,it does happen.
Why is my new starter going out?
Did you clean the mounting surface before you installed so that it has good ground? Inspect the positive cable coming from the battery. Check for any hard spots where the cable is not flexible. If you find one it needs to be replaced. If I remember correctly, the ignition system has a fuse linkage in-line with the wire along the radiator.

One reason it could be failing is if it has a short, like the positive cable doesn't have a good connection.



Edit:

Given that the old starter was heating up, I would say you have a short somewhere in one of those wires.
Possibly a bad connection or defective battery. A poor connection can heat up very fast - especially with the large amount of current a starter draws.



Each year 1.6 million starters are replaced - when it was the battery or battery connection.



Believe it or not.