Thursday, October 6, 2011

About how much would it cost to replace a locked up motor in a 1999 accord lx?

Changed starter and battery need to know price tag to fix bearings in motor or replace it.
About how much would it cost to replace a locked up motor in a 1999 accord lx?
Pardon me for backing up in this, but from the description I'm not sure you've really established the motor is seized. If you put a socket on the crank bolt and try to turn the engine (always CCW in that vintage of Honda, like you're loosening the bolt) and it feels like you are trying to turn a big solid chunk of metal, it is indeed seized. Don't worry about the bolt actually coming loose - believe me, people pray to foreign gods that they could get that bolt loose!



If it is seized, I think others will have some good sources. A used motor from a wrecking yard would be a good bet but I don't know the labor cost for it.